Two-factor authentication with Duo is required for all incoming App State students. New students will be prompted to enroll in two-factor authentication on the password change following the registration of a class. ITS recommends registering a mobile phone number with Duo and one additional method as a backup.
After registering for your first class you will receive an email prompting you to reset your password. This password change is critically important as it will enable your account to use campus resources and also complete the Duo enrollment process.
You can expect to see the following as you reset your password.
1. Click Start Setup
2. Choose an authentication device.
We recommend adding Duo mobile for a mobile push as the primary device, for portability and ease of use. Please contact the Help Desk at 828-262-6266 Option 1, if this is a concern and we can discuss alternate authentication options.
3. Enter your cell phone number including the area code of the device and confirm by checking the box.
4. Install Duo Mobile on your cellular phone from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. *Please allow notifications*
5. If completing this process on a cell phone the device activation is automatic and you will see that your App State account is now visible in the Duo Mobile App. Device enrollment is complete!
6. If completing this process on a computer you will be given an activation bar code to scan with the Duo Mobile App on your phone. Open the Duo Mobile app, click add account, and scan the barcode by holding the phone camera 8-12 inches from the code. If your camera is not activated click on the plus + on the Duo Mobile App to activate the camera.