Two-factor authentication with Duo is required for all incoming AppState students. New students will be introduced to two-factor authentication during Orientation and will be automatically enrolled at the end of the Orientation session. Once enrolled, students will be required to complete enrollment by adding an authentication device before logging in to University services. We recommend registering a mobile phone number with Duo and one additional device as a backup. Instruction on how to complete DUO enrollment can be found below.
What is Duo Two-Factor Authentication? Learn more about Duo here!
Congratulations on becoming a Mountaineer! Enrolling in Duo is the single, most effective step that you can take to keep your AppState accounts secure.
Enrollment is easy! In fact, we automatically enroll you when you attend Orientation.
All you need to do is add your devices!
After attending your final Orientation workshop, simply login to a University authenticated service to register your devices!
On the first login to a University service after enrollment, you will see the “Start setup” splash screen to finalize DUO enrollment. (Log out and sign in again if you don't see the "Start setup" screen.)
Students can also click here to add devices
1. Click Start Setup
2. Choose an authentication device.
We recommend adding a mobile phone as the primary device, for portability and ease of use. Please contact the Help Desk at 828-262-6266 Option 1, if this is a concern and we can discuss alternate authentication options.
3. Enter the cellular phone number including the area code of the device and confirm by checking the box.
4. Choose the type of phone.
5. Install Duo Mobile on your cellular phone from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store . *Please allow notifications*
6. When App installation is finished, click "I have Duo Mobile Installed"
7. If completing this process on a cell phone the device activation is automatic and you will see that your AppState account is now visible in the Duo Mobile App. Device enrollment is complete!
8. If completing this process on a computer you will be given an activation bar code to scan with the Duo Mobile App on your phone. Open the Duo Mobile app, click add account, and scan the barcode by holding the phone camera 8-12 inches from the code. If your camera is not activated click on the plus + on the Duo Mobile App to activate the camera.
9. Create Emergency Bypass Codes! Now that your mobile device is enrolled in DUO, it is a good idea to generate some emergency bypass codes for use when you forget your phone, the battery is dead, or cellular service is not adequate. Bypass codes can be requested from any login prompt. Simply click on “Enter a Passcode” and “Text me new codes” from the blue bar.
For more information including resources for support please visit the DUO - 2-Factor Authentication Service Catalog Page.