Privileges for macOS is designed to allow users to work as a standard user for day-to-day use, by providing a quick and easy way to get administrator rights only when needed. Working as a standard user instead of an administrator adds another layer of security to your Mac and is considered a security best practice. Privileges allows you to act as an administrator of the system for a short period of time and only when required. Only faculty & staff users have access to use Privileges for temporary admin elevation. The steps below will outline how to install and use Privileges.
- Privileges should already be installed in your Applications folder. If it is not, you can install Privileges from Self Service.
Once Privileges is installed, enable administrator privileges by launching the Privileges.app from the Applications folder.
Helpful TipPrivileges can be added to your Dock for easy access. When Privileges is in your Dock, the icon will turn green when your account is a standard user to show that you are operating securely and the icon will change to yellow when your account has been elevated.
- A prompt will appear, asking for confirmation. Select Request privileges and then provide a reason for needing administrative privileges.
Please be specific about why you need admin access since the reason provided will be logged with our Office of Information Security.
- A notification will appear in the notification center when privileges have been successfully changed. You are now operating with administrator privileges!
- When you are finished with your temporary administrator privileges, launch the Privileges app again and select Remove privileges.
- Another notification will appear in the notification center when privileges have been successfully changed. You are now operating with standard privileges!
Your Mac performs a privileges check every 15 minutes and reminds you to remove administrator privileges when they are not needed. This will help protect your Mac by remaining a standard user until needed.
When the privileges check runs and your account is an administrator, you will see the following window.
If you are finished with your temporary administrator privileges, select Remove. Alternatively, if you are still using your administrator privileges, select Keep and you will remain an administrator for another 15 minutes.
If you are not a member of the faculty/staff groups, you do not have access to use Privileges. You will get a warning message if you attempt to use it and the icon will be different than those will access.
There is no content with the specified labels