To manage a Google Group, be sure you already have a Group created. If you do not, submit a Google Assistance Request to have the Google Group created : Request a Google Group.
Each Google group has 3 roles: Owner, Manager, and Member (For more information on defining these roles, reference this Google Groups help document.) Please do not change the permissions associated with each role, but feel free to add additional managers if needed. By default, a Help Desk account (helpdeskgroupadm) is added as a Manager of each Google Group in order to provide better support. Additionally, ITS is set as the Owner of each group.
Where do I Manage my Google Group
- Login to your appstate google account and then click on the grid in the upper right corner and select Groups. Alternatively, you can go directly to Google Groups by navigating to groups.google.com in a web browser.
- Click “My Groups” and then click on the group you want to manage in the list of your available groups.
Note: If you do not see your groups, you may have to switch to your App State account. To switch back and forth between your personal and App State account, click on the Mountaineer Apps icon in the upper right-hand corner and choose the account you want to view from the list.
- You will see a list of management options in the sidebar menu on the left, located under your group’s name.
Confirm General Group Information
From the Group’s sidebar menu on the left, click the “About” link to see general information about your group. This will display your Group name, Group Email address (e.g. group-[name]@appstate.edu), group description, owners, your website URL, and your group’s privacy settings.
Adding New Members to a Group
You can add an unlimited number of people to your group. Up to 200 people can be added to a group at one time. 10 for external gmail addresses.
- Sign in to your google account or to Google Groups.
- Click “My Groups”.
- In the row of the group you want to add members to, click the three dots icon and select “add members”.
- Enter the email addresses of Gmail users you want to add. (To add group managers, turn on the “Directly add members” button (blue is on) and enter the addresses of those users in either the group manager or group owner text box.)
- Enter a welcome message (optional).
- Click “Add members”.
- Alternatively, you can click on the group name (which opens your group's sidebar menu on the left), under the "People" section click "Members", and then click on "Add members" at the top of the page.
Managing Members in a Group
From the group’s sidebar menu on the left, under the “People” section, you can view the associations of users connected to your group.
- Click on “members” to see a list of current group members. From this menu, you can adjust the roles of a member, set their subscription type, and modify their posting permissions.
- Click on “pending members” to see a list of users who have not accepted the group invitation yet. You can view the date they were invited, resend their invitation, or cancel their invitation.
- Click on “banned users” to see a list of users that owners or managers of the group have banned. You can also ban users on this menu by typing their name or email address into the text box and clicking “Ban users”.
Setting or Modifying Permissions
There are four group member tiers that offer varying levels of permissions:
- Group owners
- Group managers
- Group members
- Anyone on the Web
Under “group settings” managers can modify the following settings:
- Member privacy - Who can contact group owners and view member email addresses.
- Posting policies - Allowing email replies or web posting to the group page.
- Who can reply privately to authors, attach files, moderate content, moderate metadata, or post as the group.
- Email Options - Add a subject prefix to all emails, a custom footer, and change who receives replies.
- Member moderation - Adding Members, approving members, approving messages, banning users, and more.
To edit these settings, click on “Group settings” in your group’s sidebar menu on the left.
Note: Only Managers and Owners can adjust these settings by default.
Approve or Deny Pending Posts
From the Google Groups sidebar menu, under “Conversations”, click on “Pending" to approve any incoming messages posted to the group by members with posting permissions. To see a list of approved messages, click on “Approved” under “Conversations”. Here you can see all approved messages. From this menu, you can delete, archive, or favorite messages. You can also view the message sender, the date sent, forward messages, or link to messages.
For a comprehensive list of group settings functionality, visit the Google Groups help page.