The Research Advisory Program, also known as RAP sessions, is a service offered by librarians in Belk Library to provide one-on-one, in-depth research assistance. RAP sessions are conducted in person, by phone, or online via web conferencing or AETZone. Sessions generally last from 15 minutes to an hour.
***Due to Covid-19 All R.A.P. sessions will be held via the Zoom software. Please have this installed on your device before appointment.***
- Go to the Belk Library website https://library.appstate.edu/
- Click on the tab labeled Research Help & Guides
- Select RAP Sessions from either the left column or the blue highlighted title under the Research Help
- This will open the RAP Sessions information page
- Click the "Request RAP Session Now" highlighted in blue, this will open the form
- Fill in the form out completely **We need at least 48 hours advance notice (excluding weekends) to allow adequate time to prepare for the RAP session.**
- When complete click "Continue" tab at bottom of page.
- Which will bring you to the page to finish filling out your request
- At the bottom of the page is an area where you can attach files you wish to share with the RAP Advisor
- Then click the Confirm Appointment button
- When completed a page will display with all the information you need to know about your appointment.
- In addition to the automated confirmation, you may be contacted by the librarian for more information.
Who can use this service?
Students, faculty, and staff may make an appointment with a librarian for a RAP session.
When is this service available?
Appointments are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 am and 7:30 pm. RAP sessions are not available during university breaks, including fall, spring, and winter breaks.
How do I schedule a RAP session?
Use the Request a RAP Session form. We need at least 48 hours advance notice (excluding weekends) to allow adequate time to prepare for the RAP session. If you need immediate assistance, please use our Ask a Librarian service, or stop by the Library Service Desk on the first floor.
How do I attend a web conference with a librarian?
Belk Library uses Zoom for web conferencing. You will be able to participate using a microphone, web cam (not required), and screensharing.
After you submit a RAP request, you will receive a link by email to register for the meeting. Once you register, you will receive another email with login instructions. Be sure to login 15 minutes before the scheduled session to test your microphone and speaker settings.
- PC or Mac with Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, or Chrome
- A minimum of a 56K modem
- Speakers or headphones
- A microphone or the ability to text Chat
If you have any technical issues, please contact your assigned RAP librarian.
Who do I contact for more information?
If you have questions about our Research Advisory Program, please contact Ken Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org). You may also call the Library Service Desk at 828-262-2818 for immediate assistance.
For more information including resources for support, please visit the Library Services Website.