This guide will show you how to setup the ability to Send Mail from a Different Address in your MountaineerMail account.
When sending mail from an alternate email address (e.g., email@example.com), the sent mail only appears in the sending account and NOT in the alternate email account. For example, if firstname.lastname@example.org can send mail as email@example.com, the sent mail only appears in firstname.lastname@example.org and not email@example.com.
For more information, see this Google Support Page: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en
How to Grant Someone "Send As" Access
You can send mail from an alternate account when you are within your own account by setting up the "send mail as" feature:
- Sign in to your MountaineersMail account.
- Click the in the upper-right and select Settings and the Accounts and Import tab.
- Under "Send mail as", click Add another email address you own.
In the Email address field, enter the name and alternate email address of the account you want to send from. Do not select “treat as an alias”.
Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to the other email address to confirm that you should be able to send to it.
Locate the message from Gmail. Open it and and either click the link contained in the message or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Google Apps email settings.
Note: You can also set up delegated access to an alternate account by following the guide here: Setting up Mail Delegation in MountaineerMail.
How to Revoke "Send As" Access
IMPORTANT: if you want the ability to revoke "send as" access, you will need to keep the verification message. There are 2 ways to revoke or terminate the ability to send as another account:
- From the account that uses the send mail as feature: Go to Gmail Settings, and select the Accounts and Import tab, then click on the delete link next to the account in the Send mail as section.
- From the account that granted access to the other account: Go to the email that confirmed "send mail as" and scroll to the bottom to cancel the verification.
If you have any questions, feel free to submit a request at support.appstate.edu/help, or call the Help Desk at 262-6266.