Supervisors or other designated officials have discretion in deciding whether an employee is a candidate for telework, please refer to your supervisor for guidance on approved work procedures.
Additional teleworking guidance and a form for documenting telework arrangements is available here https://hr.appstate.edu/Employee_Resources_COVID19
Remote Tools for Access to Secure University Services
Information Technology Services has developed connection recommendations to optimize resources so all patrons can have a successful and secure telework experience.
|Service||Recommended Tool for the Job||Additional Information|
|Banner9, WebFOCUS, E-Print,|
Preferred choice: uDesk
Alternative Options: Ivanti Secure Access VPN (formerly Pulse Secure)
For quick Banner access (query and report access) use uDesk to launch a virtual Windows desktop in your browser.
If extended daily use of Banner is required (data entry) Pulse Secure VPN is the best choice.
University Licensed Software
Public Lab Software
uDesk will provide quick access to specialized software, access to public computer labs, and licensed software via software center.
Faculty, Staff, and NOW ALL Students will be able to utilize this service.
|M: and P: Drive|
Preferred choice: Ivanti + university computer
Alternative Options: uStor Cloud (Quick upload and download of files)
M: and P: is approved storage for sensitive university data. Please do not download sensitive data on personal computers.
Consider Google Shared Drive for non sensitive data.
|VoIP University Phone Service|
Preferred choice: Voicemail to E-Mail
Alternative Choice: CISCO Jabber
If you do not need to actively answer your phone, please let calls roll to voicemail then email.
(Call Forwarding and Single Number Reach are not supported at this time. These features have been disabled to ensure that campus phone service can perform optimally while working remotely.)
Please use CISCO Jabber for remote phone use if your job requires actively monitoring phone lines.
Jabber Client for University Phone Lines
Maintaining reliable and familiar communication channels are critical to business continuity.
Note: If you are not able to answer your campus line, all inbound phone calls will go directly to voicemail. Every voicemail you receive will automatically be sent to your AppState email with full call details.
- If your department has a business need to answer incoming university calls remotely, you can use Cisco Jabber.
ZOOM Video and Web Conferencing
- Hold meetings for up to 300 participants
- Allows users to join by phone
- Login: https://appstate.zoom.us
- Tutorial: Zoom Web Conferencing: Classes, Group Work, Collaboration
Google Chat - From direct messages to group conversations, Google Chat makes it easy to communicate with your coworkers.
- Casual group meetings
- Domain Directory invites with video meeting
- Login: chat.google.com
- Create meeting rooms, share and collaborate work
- Tutorial: https://support.google.com/hangoutschat
Video and Lecture Capture
- Screencast-o-matic is a simple and intuitive video recording and editing web-based tool.
- Tutorial: https://cae.appstate.edu/learning-technologies/teaching-and-learning-tools/video-support
- Kaltura is a cloud video platform that provides tools for recording, editing, and sharing videos and is accessible through the MediaSpace website or via AsULearn.
- Tutorials: https://confluence.appstate.edu/x/ZgPqBQ and https://confluence.appstate.edu/x/DYUsBQ
Stay secure while working from home
- Remain skeptical and be aware of fraudulent email and social media posts. Report suspicious emails by forwarding them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- While working from home, do not store confidential University data on any personal devices (e.g. files that may contain SSNs, banking info, health records). If you do not have a University device that can be used for work, then the UDesk (virtual desktop platform) can be used for work involving confidential data.
- Please make sure that University computing devices are only accessed by you and not family members or guests.
- All University managed devices will continue to receive security updates and protection whether on- or off-campus.
- Teaching Continuity - Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning for Student Success (CETLSS), https://cae.appstate.edu/learning-technologies/keep-teaching
- To address challenges and opportunities in managing projects without face-to-face meetings and conversations, see Tips on Making Work Visible and Project Team Meetings.
For additional information or questions, please feel free to contact the Help Desk at 828-262-6266.