Google Chat is the G-Suite version of Hangouts, with many more features that make it easy for teams to communicate via chat messages. From direct messages to group conversations, Chat helps teams collaborate easily and efficiently. You can simply open a new tab in your browser and go to chat.google.com in your browser or download the app (see below).
- Set up a room that includes everyone in your office or another group of people who you frequently work with
- Upload items from Drive or collaborate on Docs, Sheets, or Slides
- Click on the video icon to start a video call with Google Meet
- Search to look up room members, past conversations, and shared files.
- While logged into your App State Google account, open a new tab and go to chat.google.com
(Note: If you are logged into a personal GSuite account in the same browser, you may be redirected to the chat for that account instead of your App State account. Please see this Help Document to add a second account to your browser session.)
- Download the Google Chat client by going to https://chat.google.com/download/ Once installed, open the App and sign in to use Hangout Chats as a stand-alone application.
- On a mobile device, access Google Chat via Google's official Google Chat app, which is available for free in the AppStore (iOS devices) or Play Store (Android devices)
- For general assistance, please view Google's Google Chat support page
- For tailored assistance regarding Google Google, please contact the Help Desk at 828-262-6266