What Is Kaltura?
Kaltura is a cloud video platform that will provide the campus with tools for recording, editing, and sharing videos. It is integrated with AsULearn and can be used for sharing any course-related videos, as well as student-produced content.
- Kaltura is very closely integrated with AsULearn. See the Getting Started section below for accessing Kaltura from there.
- Kaltura also functions as a campus-wide media solution that can be accessed at https://mediaspace.appstate.edu/. From Mediaspace, you can share videos in a public or unlisted manner.
- Record a video or screencast (or combination of your webcam & screen or slides)
- Auto captioning and option to edit captions for accuracy
- Searchable, interactive transcripts for videos
- Basic editing tools: trim, slice, etc.
- Create video quizzes with potential to pass grades to AsULearn gradebook
- Upload and share large video files in AsULearn with no size limit
- A media assignment activity for collecting/grading large media files from students
Getting Started with Kaltura in AsULearn
Step 1: Go to My Media
- Click the 'My Media' in the left column in AsULearn.
Note: You may need to click the the three line hamburger icon to display the column below the AsULearn logo. If you are on the Dashboard, it will be toward the top. If you are in a course page, it might be down a bit.
Clicking the My Media link opens your “My Media” area which is displaying Kaltura content inside AsULearn.
Note: My Media appears for faculty, staff, and students within AsUlearn.
Items added or uploaded to My Media are private only to you, and will only be shared when you insert them into a course page.
Step 2: Upload or Record Content
Here are your options:
- Media Upload: upload an existing video or audio file
- Express Capture: record a webcam video directly from the browser without the need to install any additional software. It will not record your screen.
- YouTube: display a YouTube video with fewer distractions for the students (no related videos, ads, etc). The video still lives on YouTube, but it will appear in your My Media area and can be added to courses as needed. Kaltura's analytics on your students' viewing is available when you add a YouTube video this way, even though if you do not own the video!
- Interactive Video: Kaltura Interactive Video Paths enable you to add choice-based learning paths to your videos, inviting your audience to engage and participate. With Interactive Paths, you can customize your content to create a more personalized, "choose your own adventure" experience for each of your users. You can create, share and embed video paths in your website, LMS, or MediaSpace Video Portal to increase engagement, enhance learning, and boost conversion.
- Kaltura Capture: Think of this as a replacement for the Screencast-o-matic or Panopto recorder. This is a program that you will download to your computer. It will record your webcam and/or screen, and it even has annotation tools to use while recording. The first time you select this option you will be prompted to download the software.
- Video Quiz: create an interactive video quiz based on a video you’ve added to My Media.
Step 3: Add Videos to AsULearn
Option 1: Media Gallery
- Media Gallery Tutorial Video
- Each course has a “Media Gallery” which is linked to from the sidebar menu (when viewing the course).
- You can simply add videos to this gallery, but make sure the students know where to look!
- There is an optional Kaltura Media Gallery block you can add to your course if you want it to be more visible.
- Students cannot upload to the course Media Gallery.
- The Media Gallery is where you can create playlists. Playlists can then be added as Kaltura Media Resource items to an AsULearn page (see below).
Option 2: Add Kaltura Resource to AsULearn
- Tutorial Video: Add a Kaltura Video Resource to Moodle
- This adds a link to the main AsULearn site page. When the students click it, they will see a page with the video embedded.
- Click Add an Activity or Resource > Kaltura Video Resource. You will be able to select a video from your My Media.
Option 3: Add a Kaltura Video Within the HTML Area
- In the AsULearn editor, there is a button for Kaltura Media.
- This allows you and your students to insert a Kaltura video anywhere that you can type. You can use this method to insert videos into topic sections, forum posts, pages, quiz questions, etc.
- Click this button, and you’ll be able to select a video from your My Media.
Moodle Activities with Kaltura
Kaltura Video Quiz
- You can add a video quiz to your AsULearn site and have it pass grades to the Moodle gradebook.
- First, create the quiz in your My Media area: How-to Guide - Tutorial Videos
- Then, add it to your Moodle site by selecting “Kaltura Video Quiz” from the Add an Activity chooser. Tutorial Video: Add a Video Quiz to Moodle
- Kaltura has a “Media Assignment” which you will see in the Add an activity or resource chooser. This allows students to submit videos to you, which will not be visible to the rest of the class.
- Alternatively, you can use the regular Moodle Assignment activity, set it to accept Online Text submissions, and have the students insert Kaltura Media into the text box.