VoiceThread is a versatile tool for creating discussion and presentations that are designed to be collaborative and interactive. VoiceThread activities can be integrated into your AsULearn course.
Many VoiceThread activities are multimedia slideshows that hold images, files, and videos. These enable participants in the course to navigate between slides and leave audio, video, or text comments on the various slides. VoiceThread assignments can be connected to the course gradebook allowing grades in VoiceThread to populate into the gradebook.
For more on VoiceThread:
- Check out the VoiceThreads Tutorials and YouTube Channel.
- Contact your college's ITC for a consultation.
Follow these steps to add a VoiceThread activity to your course:
- Click on the gear menu (top right) to Turn editing on in your course.
- Navigate to a section in the course and click on
- You have the following options in the setup:
- Course View: The VoiceThread Course View link allows students to see all VoiceThreads shared with the class group. Once a Course View link is added to a Moodle course, the course group is created automatically.
- VT Home: Students click the VT Home link to be taken to their VoiceThread homepage. Add this link somewhere in your course that is easy to find so that students can have a simple way to see all of their VoiceThread information including content, groups, notifications.
- Individual VT: The Individual VT link will open up a specific VoiceThread that you choose. This is a good option for mini lecture content, discussion boards, or any nongraded content you want to share directly with students. Once you click on the Individual VT option on the Setup page, you will see a list of your VoiceThread assignments; or If you have not yet created anything, you can click Create new VoiceThread and make one. Then click on the VT you want for the activity and then click Share with class.
- Assignment Builder: This setup option is best to use for a VoiceThread activity that you want to grade student participation in. It will create a column in the gradebook associated to the activity. It allows for three different types of VoiceThread assignments:
- Create a VoiceThread - an assignment which requires students to create a new VoiceThread.
- Submit a Comment - an assignment which requires students to comment on a VoiceThread; multiple comments can be required.
- Watch a VoiceThread - an assignment which links to a VoiceThread that students must watch. Student must watch all the video at normal speed to receive credit.
Once your assignment has been set up, you can grade the students' assignments by clicking on the same link. You will see the submitted assignments on the right side of the page. Click on the student's identity image to play all of their comments (if any) and enter a grade as a percentage of the point total for the assignment. If you have connected the assignment to the gradebook, the grades will show up there automatically.
Also you will see a list of students who have not submitted their assignment and you can send them an email reminder.