Statement of Purpose
The purpose of this document is to define the processes and standards around the computer refresh program for Academic Affairs. This program is managed by IT Support Services and covers all tenure-track faculty and full-time faculty on multi-year contracts, as well as full-time staff. Lecturers on one-year contracts and part-time adjunct faculty and other part-time employees will be provided with a best available computer.
Details of the Program
- Due to the need for mobile computing and working and teaching remotely, the computer refresh program will only include laptops. Included with each laptop is one 24" monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. Additional monitors are the responsibility of the department.
- When an individual receives their new computer, the old computer must be returned to be repurposed. Many of these computers go to part-time employees who are not eligible for the refresh program and others go to departments to help improve the overall quality of computers used for research or by students in these areas.
- The typical refresh cycle is four years.
- Most users will receive the standard models, while users in video and graphic intensive departments will get the higher end models.
- We typically replace a Mac for a Mac and a Dell for a Dell.
- Per our minimum security standard, all computers must be enrolled in one of the two university computer management systems. Those are SCCM for Windows computers and JAMF for Macs.
The computers that have been chosen for the refresh program should meet the needs of the majority of users. These computers are all part of the UNC System Computer Purchasing Initiative (CPI), which includes extra discounts and higher level service agreements than can be found on computers outside of CPI. Any computer that is not part of CPI will need approval from ITS and the department.