- From the main course page, select Gradebook setup from the gear icon (top right).
- Within Gradebook set, click the Edit > Settings link next to the course category.
- Toggle or confirm that Aggregation is set to Simple weighted mean of grades.
- Click Save changes at the bottom of the screen.
Empty Grades simply indicates that a grade has not been entered in the gradebook. It may be empty because a student has not made a submission or that the teacher has not yet graded the item. Empty grades display as dashes in the Grader Report; they are different than scores of zero. Zeros are calculated, but dashes (empty grades) count towards the overall grade depending on what the teacher in the site has selected.
By clicking Exclude Empty Grades, the teacher is displaying a total that only reflects the graded items in the course, and the overall grade does not include ungraded items.
If you have questions about gradebook setup, please contact your college consultant.
The video below
- demonstrates how to set the Aggregation
- explains how point values are related to the total score
- demonstrates how to add a graded item (1:18)
- demonstrates how to group graded items into a category (2:03)
- demonstrates how to specify a graded item as extra credit (3:10)