Optical Character Recognition (OCR) scanning means that the text in the scan is searchable and readable by a screen reader, making it more accessible to those who are vision impaired. It is a much better scanning option than a typical image scan that is often the default scanning mode for most copiers and scanners.
The application on a Sharp copier will automatically create an ADA-compliant, readable, searchable, and correctly-oriented PDF. Then, you can use the Google Repository in AsULearn to easily add your scanned PDF to your online course materials!
Step-by-step guide for Sharp Models MX-C301W, MX-C312, MX-C402, MX-654N, MX-754N
- On the copier’s display, find and press the OSA tab.
- On some machines, you may need to press the Drive Image option.
- On the Login screen, press User and enter your App State Username (not email address) using the on-screen or pull-out keyboard, then press Ok. Then repeat the process for Password and press Ok.
- Once your username and password have been entered, press Ok at the top right.
- Select Scan to Google Drive.
- Place your material on the copy bed and press Scan to scan to the root directory of your Google Drive.
Note: You can press Start for multiple pages, or Read-End to finish.
- When you have completed your scanning, press the user picture icon.
- Then press Logout.
Feel free to check out this complete video tutorial for more details:
Step-by-step guide for Sharp Models MX-B455, MX-B476W, MX-C304W, MX-3070V, MX-3071V, MX-5070V, MX-5071V, MX-M3070, MX-M5070
- On the home screen of the copier, select Google Drive.
2. Type in your App State email address and click on Next.
3. On this screen, type in your username and Password, then click Sign In.
4. Just like when logging into any other App State service, you will need to confirm your identity with DUO. Click on the the method of verification that you normally use or prefer.
5. In order to use the Google function, you must click on Allow to give access to your Google Drive account.
6. Select Scan a Document.
7. You are free to change the name of the file and the location in Google Drive or where you wish to save the document. Once this has been done, click on File Format. *This is an important step to make this document an OCR PDF.
8. Select the OCR Box and click OK
9. Once you are happy with the setting, click Start to scan the job (bottom right corner). It will be scanned directly to your Google Drive.
If you have any questions, feel free to submit a request at support.appstate.edu/help, or call the Help Desk at 262-6266.