Keep track of students' attendance from within a given AsULearn course.
Add the Attendance activity
1. From your course homepage, click the gear icon (top right), and select Turn editing on from the menu.
2. In the topic where you want the Attendance link to appear, click the Add an activity link.
3. Under Activities, click Attendance.
4. On the Adding a new Attendance page, click to expand the Grade section to set your preferences for grades with relation to attendance.
The Center for Academic Excellence strongly recommends selecting Grade Type: None to keep the attendance activity from affecting your gradebook totals.
Many faculty lower students' final grades when a certain threshold is crossed. For example, if you want to lower a student's grade after three absences, then set Grade Type: None, and manually adjust grades at the end of the semester.
5. Click Save and display to show the attendance setup page for the course.
6. Click Status set to review the options for marking attendance. Many faculty use the default settings of: Present, Absent, Late, Excused. Points are set to 0 if Grade Type: None was set (step 4). If you make changes on the Status set page, click the Update button at the bottom to save them.
7. Click the Add session tab to add attendance dates/sessions for your course.
Add attendance sessions
Click the Add session tab, and follow these steps to add sessions.
- In the Add session section, enter the Date and Time for the initial class meeting.
- In the Multiple sessions section, select Repeat the session above as follows to set up sessions for the entire semester.
- Select the days of the week that the course meets.
- If the class meets on those days every week, leave the default on Repeat every 1 week(s).
- Enter the last day of class on Repeat until.
- Click Add, and your attendance sessions will be built.
From the course homepage, click the Attendance activity. Note that you can view All sessions, All past sessions, or filter by Months, Weeks, or Days with the buttons at the top right.
To take attendance during (or after) a class meeting, click the forward arrow for the day.
The list of students is automatically generated.
A shortcut for taking attendance is to click the letter P at the top, and this will mark everyone Present. Then the teacher can change the mark for any late or absent students. The Remarks column allows teachers to make notes that are visible to the teacher and the individual student, such a the reason for an excused absence, etc.
To edit the attendance in a previous class, click the green arrow for that class day (forward arrows turn to green arrows after you've taken attendance).
The Report tab provides an aggregated visual record to the teacher about class attendance, as well as summaries for individual students (click on their name in the Attendance report).
The Export tab allows teachers to export attendance data to a downloadable (Excel) file.