The groups feature allows an instructor to assign students to one or more groups for the entire course or for individual activities. With Group Messaging turned on, members of a group can easily contact all other members.
Within various activities and resources in AsULearn, the Teacher can make particular items group aware, while not affecting others. It is also possible to force everything in the course to be group aware. If you are not certain about what will work best, please contact your CAE college consultant for additional information.
To create groups in an AsULearn course, follow these steps.
- From the course homepage, open the drawer by clicking the 3-line hamburger icon (top left), and select Participants from the menu.
- At the top right of the Participants window, click the gear icon, and select Groups from the menu.
- On the Groups page, there are 3 ways to create a group. The sections below describe each.
Create group manually
- Click Create group button.
- Type a Group name and an optional Group description
- Select Yes if you want to turn on Group messaging
- Optionally you can upload a picture for the group identity.
- Click Save changes, then you will need to Add/remove users to the group (see below).
- From the main Groups page, click the Auto-create groups button.
Specify a Naming scheme: enter text with either @ (to enumerate with letters A, B, C...) or # (to enumerate with numbers 1, 2, 3...); example, Group @ results in Group A, Group B, Group C...; Team # results in Team 1, Team 2, Team 3...
- Auto create based on: Number of groups (divide the member pool into the number of groups specified in the next field) or Members per group (create groups with the specified number of members in the next field).
- Group/member count indicates the number for your selection in the previous field.
- Select members with role to include All participants in your course (including Teachers) or only those with the selected role.
- Select members from group to create groups from an existing group, that is, create subgroups.
- Select how to Allocate members: Randomly or in order as selected.
- Specify Grouping of auto-created groups: No grouping, an existing grouping, or a New grouping (enter the Grouping name in the next field).
- Click the Preview button to see the groups generated based on your settings. Adjust settings if necessary.
- Click the Submit button to create the groups.
Groups (but not members of the groups) can be created from an imported text file formatted as a CSV (comma-separated values) file. see the Moodle documentation here.
Add or Remove Members to Groups
For groups created manually or by importing, members must be assigned to the groups.
- From the main Groups page, click on a Group in the right column, then click the Add/remove users button.
Note for metacourse users who intend to use groups: Before you add course meta links to your master section, you should make a group in your master section (for example, a group called '101' if that's the section where you place your content), and put all the users currently enrolled in that section in that group. The course meta link process will allow you to automatically add the students from other sections into their own group during the meta link process.
See Moodle documentation on Groups