Though Zoom is integrated with AsULearn for synchronous online meetings with your students, some faculty use the Zoom web portal to start a meeting by themselves, share their desktop, and deliver a 'lecture' or presentation while recording it. The link to the recording can then be posted in AsULearn or otherwise shared with students.
|This process uses the Zoom web portal (https://appstate.zoom.us) rather than starting a session via the Zoom activity in an AsULearn course. Note: Recordings in the Zoom Cloud are retained for 30 days. You can download recordings from the Zoom Cloud, and post them on your YouTube channel to retain the indefinitely should you wish. The videos are also automatically copied over to your Kaltura account and can be shared from there.|
Using Zoom for Lecture Capture
Overview (summary of video above)
- Log in with your Appalachian credentials at https://appstate.zoom.us. This automatically grants you a Zoom pro license (for faculty, staff, and student users). You can host an unlimited number of meetings, with up to 300 participants in each one, and record those meetings to the Zoom Cloud for later sharing.
- On the Zoom dashboard, select Host a meeting, and choose Video On or Video Off.
- Zoom will run (follow the prompts to start if you have not used Zoom on your computer before), and your meeting will open.
- Use the tools along the bottom to 1) Start a recording. Always choose Record to the cloud, and 2) Share your screen
- With your screen shared, and your recording started, use your desktop to display any materials you need (PPT, Excel, PDF, website, AsULearn course, etc), and deliver your lecture, speaking as you would in class. Remember that if it is on your screen, it is being recorded, as is your audio. It is helpful to think that you have a student standing behind you looking at your display, and you are explaining content to them during an office hour. But here, you're in a meeting alone, sharing your screen and recording a lecture.
- When you are finished, click the End Meeting link and the select End meeting for all in the pop-up window. Shortly after you end your meeting, you'll receive an email from Zoom with a link to share your recording.
- Copy the Share recording with viewers link. If you use AsULearn, you can paste the link in your course using a URL resource. Your students can watch the recorded Zoom session by clicking on the link. You can also email the link, or post on another sharing service your students can access.
Please contact your CAE consultant for further assistance.
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.
We value your feedback! Click HERE to suggest updates to an existing article, request a new article, or submit an idea.