Once students have submitted their assignments in an Assignment submission space, you'll need to grade them. Here's how.
Once students have submitted to an assignment you can To view and access the submissions by clicking the assignment itself and then on the View all submissions button. If you choose the Grade button you will skip this next step.
After you click on student submissions for an assignment, click the assignment from the main course page.
- Click the View All Submissions button
- to see all the students
- listed with their submission details (Status, Last Modified Submission, File Submissions, and Submission Comments columns) and the link to Grade the
- assignment submission for each individual student.
- Click the Grade button to open the Submission screen for the first student (whether or not the student has submitted the assignment).
The status for the student's submission is displayed as No attempt or Submitted for grading.
Not Graded or Graded is displayed.
Time remaining before submission deadline is displayed.
Any files the student has uploaded are listed with the upload time stamp. Click the file link to download it.
If the student left a comment, the count will be greater than (0). Click the + Comments link to display any comments and the field for you to leave a comment that the student will see.
The Grade section for the Submission screen will vary depending on the grading features you selected when setting up the assignment, often including the space spaces for feedback Feedback comments, feedback for uploading Feedback files, and the text field to enter the and for entering the student's score numeric Grade on the assignment.
You'll also see a place for annotating PDFs, called the review pane . If students submitted a PDF file as their submission, it will be displayed with the option to use the annotation tools to mark up the PDF inside AsULearn.
Upload Feedback Files
To upload a file for the student to access
- Drag the file from your computer's file manager into the region with the blue arrow. After a moment, when the file finishes uploading, the file name will display as a blue link with an icon for the document type. You can drag additional files to upload them. Click on the file name link to Download, Delete, or Update the properties of the file. The student will be able to link to the file in the Feedback section for the assignment.
- Alternately, click the file icon to Choose File, specify properties, then click Upload this file
- Click one of the 3 icons on the right to change how the file list is displayed.
The display options for the Review and Grade panes are the buttons in the bottom right-hand corner . You have the following options for viewing and grading student submissions on the grading page.
of the Submission screen:
Hover the mouse pointer over them to display their labels, which are (left to right):
- Collapse review pane (collapses the review Review pane showing only the grade Grade pane)
- restore Restore default layout (includes both the review Review pane and the grade Grade pane)
- collapse Collapse grade pane (collapses the grade Grade pane showing only the review Review pane)
If a PDF file is submitted, open the Review pane to display it with the annotation tools to mark up the PDF inside AsULearn.
- Check the box for Notify students to alert the student that the assignment has been graded (once the changes are saved).
- Click Save changes then OK for the Changes saved message to return to the student's submission
- Click Save and show next then OK for the Changes saved message to move to the next student's Submission screen (whether or not that student has submitted the assignment).
- Click Reset to revert to the last saved entries for the student (abandoning any unsaved changes, including files uploaded).
In the top left of the Submission screen click a link to return to:
- Course: (Course Name)
- Assignment: (Assignment Name)
- click gear icon to go to Edit settings for the Assignment
- View all submissions
Note: You may also select Quick grading at the bottom of the Grading page under Options. Quick grading allows you to assign grades and provide feedback directly in the grading table. However, this option is not available for assignments that use advanced grading (rubrics and marking guides).