Google Chat Overview
Developed by Google, Google Chat (formerly Google Hangouts) is a communication service with many features that make it easy for teams to communicate via chat messages. Google Chat helps teams collaborate easily and efficiently through direct messaging, group conversations, or dedicated group work spaces. You can simply open a new tab in your browser and go to google chat or download the app (see below)
- Set up a room that includes everyone in your office or another group of people who you frequently work with.
- Upload items from Drive or collaborate on Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- Click on on the video icon to start a video call with Meet.
- Search to look up room members, past conversations , and shared files.
Google Spaces Overview
Google Spaces is more like a discussion board or forum. Spaces are managed by an admin or creator of the space and allows users to follow conversation threads, collaborate on documents, and arrange for meetings all in the space. Users can
- Create chat threads organized by topic.
- Organize files using the Files tab.
- Add space tasks and assign them to specific users using the Tasks tab.
While logged into your App State Google account, open a new tab, and go to https://chat.google.com.
(Note: If you are logged into a personal Gmail account in the same browser, you may be redirected to the chat for that account instead of your App State account. See this Help Document to add a second account to your browser session.)
Download the Google Chat client by going to https://chat.google.com/download/. Once installed, open the App and log in to use Chat as a stand-alone application.
On a mobile device, access Google Chat via Google's official Google Chat app, which is available for free in the AppStore (iOS devices) or Play Store (Android devices).
- For general assistance, please view Google's Google Chat Support Page.
- For tailored assistance regarding Google Google, contact the Help Desk at 828-262-6266.