Instructions for connecting to a campus computer from an off campus location when both computers have a WINDOWS operating system.
You must be connected with Pulse to make this connection
Configure the campus computer to accept incoming connections
- Click the Windows icon
- Type Remote Desktop Settings and press Enter
- Turn on Enable Remote Desktop
- Under User Accounts click on Select Users that can remotely access this PC.
- Click Add. ***Ignore message below empty box that says you already have access. You username must be in the box for you to be able to remote into this computer***
- Enter your username in box that says “Enter the object names to select”
- Click Check Names
- Select the correct users if multiple accounts with similar names are listed.
- Click OK
- Make sure your username is in the box (APPD\username)
- Click OK
- Retrieve the computer's IP address
- Click the Start button
- Type CMD and press Enter
- In the command prompt that appears, type ipconfig
- Look for the IPv4 Address entry and write down the IP address
To connect to campus computer from off campus
Make sure that you are connected Pulse Secure VPN
- Open the Start Menu by clicking the Start button
- In the search box, type MSTSC and press Enter to open Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection
- Click the Show Options dropdown button
- In the Computer field, type the IP address of the computer to which you wish to connect
- In the User name field, type appd\<your username> where the text in brackets is replace with your AppState username Note: Do not enter @appstate.edu and do not include the brackets.
- If you wish to save a shortcut to this connection, click Save As... and select the location and file name under which you would like to save the connection
- Click Connect to connect to the remote computer