This guide will show you how to grant someone access to your App State account. Account delegation enables others to view and send mail without sharing the password to the account.
To Delegate an Account to Another User
- Log into the account whose inbox you want to share with another App State account.
- Go to Settings (click the gear on the upper right side above the inbox, click Settings).
- Go to the Accounts and Imports tab.
- Scroll down to the Grant access to your account section and click on Add another account.
- Add the email address of the user you want to add and click Next Step.
- Verify the email address and click Send email to grant access. Once approved, the (delegated) account will show up in their list of accounts.
After the delegate confirms this request (it may take up to 30 minutes for the verification process to be completed), you can see if the delegate has confirmed access to your account by navigating to your Gmail settings, clicking on the "Accounts and Import" tab, and scrolling down to the “Grant access to your account” section where you will see either pending or accepted next to the delegate's name and email address.
If someone has granted you access to their account, you can access it by clicking on your profile picture or email address in the upper-right corner of your Gmail window and choosing your delegate's email address.
Note: When you send mail from your delegate’s account, it will appear as sent by email@example.com (sent by firstname.lastname@example.org). If you do not want the “sent by” to appear in sent mail, you will need to set up the ability to send from another account. You can do this by following the guide here: Sending Mail from a Different Address in MountaineerMail.
How to Revoke Mail Delegation Access
If you no longer want to grant somebody else access to your account, follow these instructions:
- Sign in to your Gmail account and click the gear icon in the top-right corner of your browser.
- Click See all settings.
- Click on the Accounts and Import tab.
- In the Grant access to your account section, click delete on any account you want to remove.
If you have any questions, feel free to submit a request at support.appstate.edu/help, or call the Help Desk at 828-262-6266.