This video walks through the standard setup for a Quiz. (Does not cover creating questions.)
- From the course page, click on the Turn editing on button (top right).
- At the bottom of a Topic section click the +Add an activity or resource link.
- Within the Activity Chooser under Activities, select Quiz.
- From the Add a New Quiz screen complete the required settings and any optional settings for the Quiz in the sections below:
Click the blue question marks on the page for more help with settings.
- Give the quiz a Name which will appear as a link on the main course page in the Topic section you selected.
- Use the Description field for any instructions or expectations for students (optional). This is displayed on the screen where the Student clicks the Attempt quiz now button.
To set times, click the Enable option to the right of the settings. Time uses 24-hour settings, so 00 = midnight at the start of the date; 13 = 1:00 PM; 23 with 59 minutes = end of the date.
- The Open the quiz date and time defines when the quiz is first available to students.
- The Close the quiz date and time defines the deadline for completing the quiz.
- The Time limit determines how much time is allowed for a single attempt. Do not Enable for no time limit (other than by the time the quiz closes).
- When time expires specifies what happens when attempts are started but not submitted before the Time limit expires.
- Submission grace period applies to the grace period option for When time expires. (click Show more... link to view this setting)
The Close the quiz time is enforced over the time to take the quiz. If a quiz is set to allow 30 minutes for the testing session, but a student begins the attempt 10 minutes prior to the Close the quiz time, the student will only get 10 minutes to complete the attempt.
- Select the Grade category for the quiz from those set up in your gradebook.
- Grade to pass determines the minimum score to pass used in Completion Tracking.
- Attempts allowed is the number of attempts Students are allowed to make for the quiz. This can help make the process of taking the quiz more of an educational activity rather than simply an assessment. If the quiz is randomized then the student will get a new version for each attempt. This is useful for practice purposes.
- Note: You can change the Attempts allowed for different groups or users in the Group or User override sections of the Quiz Administration settings block.
- Grading method applies when multiple attempts are allowed. There are different ways you can use the grades to calculate the student's final grade for the quiz.
New page: For longer quizzes, it makes sense to stretch the quiz over several pages by specifying the number of questions per page. When adding questions to the quiz, page breaks will automatically be inserted according to the setting you choose. You can move pages and breaks around when you manually Edit the Quiz.
Changing this setting has no effect on questions you have already added to the quiz. Changing the setting will only apply to questions you add subsequently. To change the page breaks after questions already added, you need to go to the Edit Quiz screen, drag the move icon to the left of the question to move it, or use the Repaginate button to distribute questions per page.
- Navigation method: Free allows students to return to questions after proceeding to other questions. It is the default setting and the option most commonly used by faculty. Sequential forces the Student to progress through the questions in order without being able to go back to a previous question.
Since answering a question is not required to proceed, selecting Sequential for this setting means a Student could advance to the next question without answering, and then be unable to return to the unanswered question.
- Set Shuffle within questions to Yes to enable the parts of the question (e.g., the options in a multiple choice question) to be shuffled randomly each time the student takes the quiz. Each question must have the Shuffle the choices option selected as well. If the option is off for a question, it will not shuffle the choices. If this option for the Quiz is set to No, none of the the questions will shuffle the choices regardless of the question setting. NOTE: These settings have nothing to do with shuffling the question order within a quiz.
- See Moodle documentation for details of other settings.
See separate topic
Extra Restrictions on Attempts
More options to govern additional attempts at the quiz. See Moodle documentation
Overall feedback is shown to a Student after completing an attempt at the quiz. The text that is shown can depend on the grade the Student got. See Moodle documentation
Common Module Settings
- Availability specifies whether to Show or Hide the Quiz on the the main course page.
- ID Number for the quiz activity is optional. It can be used in grade calculations and reporting.
- If Groups are set up, set Group mode and Grouping options for the quiz activity.
More options to govern restrictions for who can access the quiz and when. See Moodle documentation
After options are set
Click Save and display to save your settings. Some general settings will be highlighted on the screen with a notice that "No questions have been added yet". Click the Edit quiz button to add questions to your quiz; or click Back to the course to skip this step. To add questions later, from the main course page click the Quiz name. If there are no questions in the quiz yet, click the Edit quiz button. If there are questions, click the gear icon (top right) and select Edit quiz (not Edit settings).