It's very likely that students are having problems with breakout rooms because they have joined your meeting with a different email than their Appalachian State University email OR they may be using a Zoom guest account.
For Pre-Assigned Breakout Rooms to work in Zoom, students must follow these steps.
- First, students must go to Appalachian's Zoom portal and create their Zoom Pro account. They create their account by going to https://appstate.zoom.us/ and logging in with the Appalachian credentials.
- Second, students must install and open the desktop client on the device before entering your Zoom meeting with the Pre-Assigned Breakout Rooms.
- Please note, when installing the Zoom desktop client application, select, Sign in with SSO.
- When prompted for the domain, enter appstate (not appstate. edu).
- After completing the shibboleth authentication, the Zoom desktop application should be ready for use.
Zoom Help Page on Desktop Clients. The desktop client can be downloaded at https://zoom.us/download
- Students must login to the Zoom Desktop application before entering your Zoom meeting, in order for Pre-Assigned Breakout Rooms to work. From there, preassigned breakout rooms will work more consistently.