All Appalachian users (faculty, staff, and students) can create an unlimited number of Zoom meetings,with up to 300 participants in each. You can even record the meetings to the cloud. Before you attempt to add a Zoom meeting to AsULearn: log into Zoom via https://appstate.zoom.us to be added to our Zoom pro license.
To learn more about Zoom, use their excellent and constantly updated support site. NOTE: With our license, all of our Zoom activities are 'Meetings'. You can check out your system or device by connecting to Zoom's standing open meeting room. Users can always check the operational status of Zoom.
Adding a Zoom meeting to an AsULearn course
- If you haven't done so yet, go to https://appstate.zoom.us and log in to be granted a pro license.
- Log into AsULearn and go to your course.
- Use the gear icon at the top right to Turn editing on.
- In the topic where you wish to add the meeting link, click the link to Add an activity or resource.
- Select Zoom meeting icon.
- Enter the desired settings (see Zoom Settings list below) and click Save. To move the Zoom meeting link up near the top of your course page to make it easy for students to spot, click and drag the move icon (4-direction arrows) to the new position.
Topic: Give your Zoom meeting or room a topic-related name.
Description: Enter information about your Zoom meeting in the Description field. Include the purpose of the meeting, agenda, expectations for conduct, and any general instructions on how to prepare for participating in the upcoming sessions. TIP: Only use plain text in the description field, as the corresponding Zoom agenda field does not provide for HTML formatting.
Display description on course page: Select the check box to display the online class meeting description on your AsULearn course Home page below the activity link.
When: Select these options only if you wish to specify a date/time to generate a unique Zoom meeting link for one-time use. Select the day, month, year, and time (24 hour-clock) from the menus. Skip this option to create a Recurring meeting.
Duration: Enter the duration of time in the text field then select a time interval from the menu (minutes or hours recommended). NOTE: This duration is only so participants can plan. Zoom will never stop a meeting based on a duration setting. Skip this option if you will create a Recurring meeting.
Recurring (recommended): Select the Recurring option if you want students to use the same Zoom link to join your online class throughout the semester.
Password: Enter a password for the meeting or accept the auto generated password.
Authentication (recommended): Check the box to require students to be logged into Zoom to enter the meeting.
Host video: Whether or not the host of the meeting will have their webcam turned on by default when starting the meeting (default On).
Participants video: Whether or not the participants joining the meeting will have their webcam turned on by default when joining the meeting (default On).
- Both (recommended, default): Participants can use either a telephone, computer with microphone, or mobile device to join the meeting audio.
- Telephony only: Participants must call in to the meeting via telephone.
- VOIP only: Participants can only speak and be heard through a computer or mobile device with a microphone.
Meeting option: Select the Enable join before host option (recommended) to allow participants to join the meeting before the host does.
Grade: This setting allows teachers to associate a grade to a Zoom meeting to their course Gradebook using the Scale or Point ratings, a Grade Category and a Grade to Pass. If you make your Zoom meeting in AsULearn graded, a graded column is automatically created in your AsULearn Gradebook, and the process for grading is automatic and simple: Any student who logs into the Zoom meeting is automatically awarded the maximum point value in points or the highest rating in a verbose scale. The teacher can always edit the automatically awarded grades later, but think of it as "You get the max grade for simply attending."
If you have questions about Zoom, see the excellent Zoom support site, or call Tech Support at 828-262-6266 Option 1. For more complex questions or teaching issues, submit a Service Request.
Zoom Mobile App
The Zoom mobile apps work very well, and you can download them from the Zoom Download Center. Below is a video showing how to install and log in on a mobile device.